Re: New mockups for shell - round 2

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Ross Smith <myxiplx googlemail com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've put together a quick guide to my own thoughts on this, along with
> an indication of how the transition between the two screens can be
> animated.
>
> Jeremy, apologies for the horrible hack job I've done on your lovely graphics.
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/DesignerPlayground/AppBrowsingAlternative03
>
> Ross

I also like that.
I think that categories and sorting should be different things
selectable independently.

Have an independent way (tabs, drop-down selection box, whatever) for
choosing the sorting method (frequently used, recently used,
alphabetical order, favorites, etc)

And another independent way for selecting the category (all,
accessories, games, etc)
Perhaps categories could be checkboxes instead of selections (maybe I
want to search in accessories and system tools at the same time).

And I think that the same thing could be done for document sorting,
but instead of categories we would have tags. Why don't just include
there the documents indexed by the tracker? no matter if you didn't
used them recently. Maybe there are documents you haven't used so much
but you still want to be able to search in the overlay and open them.

However, maybe performance would be an issue here.

--
Fernando