Re: New mockups for shell - round 2

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Natan Yellin <aantny gmail com> wrote:
> The recent documents are all viewable anyway via the Places-->Recent
> Documents menu. While it makes sense to let people delete items from the
> list if they want, but I don't think we need to be so concerned with privacy
> that we don't show the list at all. Recent documents are already tracked
> _anyway_ (see ~/.recently-used and ~/.recently-used.xbel) and if people are
> concerned about privacy then they should turn off the tracking at the source
> and not just complain about an interface to view their tracks.
> -Natan

There are a lot of things that are easily viewable in a PC, but not
all of them are exposed so clearly.
Perhaps I want to keep track of recent documents for sorting my search
results accordingly but don't want to make everybody see them when I'm
executing some other thing unrelated.

Activity tracking browsers have been forced to add a "privacy mode"
just because of that, at the very least there should be something like
that in gnome, although I'd still prefer the recent documents to not
be exposed so clearly to everybody when I just want to manage the
workspaces or execute something not related in a not relate situation
(ie: in a serious conference people don't need to know if I was
playing supertux or listening hard rock).

Btw, in case I was misunderstood, I'm meaning the recent documents
shown at the left side pane, not the search results that pop down when
typing in the searchbox. Although perhaps, privacy could be improved
if the default filtering could be customized for the users who don't
want certain tags or documents to be shown by default in the search.

--
Fernando