Re: Applications Unnecessary

> PPPS: Oops. On another note, I wonder what would happen if applications
> handled creating their own files in the same direction as templates?
> Instead of "Create spreadsheet" (copied from Templates folder), we could
> have "Create a file here with Gnumeric," leading from the user clicking
> on a GTK widget representing a file yet to be created.
> It's the same process as opening the tool then creating the document,
> except the user is getting the document /then/ using the tool.

I like this idea. I think of it as analogous to a “new, blank” tab on
a tab bar (e.g. Internet Explorer 7; or Google Chrome, Safari 4 and
Firefox 3.5 if you styled the New Tab button to look like a normal
tab). Wherever you can choose one of several files, you can also
always choose a new, blank file of each appropriate type (assuming you
have file creation privileges).