Re: Applications Unnecessary

El dom, 03-05-2009 a las 13:24 -0700, Dylan McCall escribió:

> On the other hand, this also suggests that I think calling GNOME Shell
> "the shell" is somewhat flawed. The underlying philosophy with Calcium,
> no matter where it goes, is that /everything/ is the shell. (Hence the
> name; shells have a lot of calcium. There, if it has a pun THAT great,
> it must be awesome!).

Want it to be a fd.o standard? Call it FileKit. Sorry, had to say it.
But it does have the sort of standard interaction ring to it.

> When an application is added to the system, it is an addition to the
> shell. Rhythmbox's music library should be no less a part of the shell
> than Nautilus or the GTK file chooser. It abstracts the storage of
> files, in this case music, allowing the user to choose them for some
> purpose. If we can accomplish that type of seamless, smooth bridge
> between everything, users will never need to think "files" unless they
> want to.

Is there a library for each type of file? Which is metadata indexed?
Which is similar to a new windows concept I believe, but we can do it
properly.
Also, how does it get presented at the start to the user?

Alex