Re: tasklist/reusing gnome-panel

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Neil J Patel <njpatel gmail com> wrote:

> - Application/Arbitrary group support - drag-and-drop window icons
> onto each other to create an icon group that controls the entire group
> of windows)

One thing that came up in a discussion here was the idea of tiling;
there are of course a lot of window managers devoted entirely to this
idea, but a possibility would be to make it easy and obvious how to
temporarily tile say 2-3 applications.  This could be done as part of
the tasklist type component, or maybe from the overlay.

> - a (much nicer) dbus backend to allow applications to have custom
> right-click menus, whether that's a context menu, or a mini-player
> (i.e. Banshee)

We talked about something a bit like this too in the context of Máirín
Duffy's work on the "More" part of the overlay (this was just added to
http://live.gnome.org/Boston2008/GUIHackfest/WindowManagementAndMore ;
search/scroll for "Navigating Applications Menu").

Basically the idea was that applications could customize this submenu;
might make sense to also have it accessible from the tasklist-type
component.

> Fwiw, the netbook-remix[1] way of presenting open windows gets a big
> thumbs up from nearly everyone who uses it, and has ended up on many
> people's desktops' gnome-panel. The name of the applet is
> window-picker-applet[2].

Cool, I'll take a look at the window-picker-applet too.