Re: tasklist/reusing gnome-panel

Sorry to respond to my own email, but I thought about the problem a little more and came up with a more logically structured solution to task-panel management using three modes of visualization: the Gnome-shell panel overlay for workspaces; window-picker applet with mouse-over to show open window groups within a single workspace; and tabs raised to the tops of windows to different tasks in the same window.  Please see below:

From: Brian Fleeger <brianfleeger yahoo com>
To: Neil J Patel <njpatel gmail com>; gnome-shell-list gnome org
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:12:19 AM
Subject: Re: tasklist/reusing gnome-panel

<<I basically proposed addressing the problem by listing all open
<< window tabs along the top window panel, a la Chrome.
<<The window label text size per tab in Chrome is about
<<the same size as the task list widgets people are used
<<to using in GNOME and Windows.  Top-tab appearance
<<and basic behavior would basically be like Chromes'
<<except that I envision it would being system wide.
<<LIke-programs could be grouped into one window, but
<< nonlike-programs could not.  (i.e. OO.o docs could be
<<open and tabbed like in Symphony, but a GIMP tab
<<could not be dragged into/merged with this type of
<<window/task).  This would turn windows from individual
<<instances of applications into "grouped like-tasks",
<<and force unlike-tasks to be separate and easily
<<distinguishable in the expose-esque panel view.

There are really three hierarchical levels of applications whose labeling needs resolved in the proposed Gnome-Shell UI: docs/apps in different workspaces; apps in the same workspace but in differnt windows; and tabs grouped together in the same window (regardless whether or not Gnome uses the idea of universal tabs, some apps will always have tabs).

How to visualize these different layers and keep them all distinct?

I think each layer (workspace, window, and tab) should use its own distinct method of visualization.  For workspaces, the panel overlay as it appeared in the Hackfest proposal is excelent.  For representing opened windows, you could use the window-picker applet to show different tabbed window-group clusters (i.e. if you ripped a tap away from a task window and formed a new window, a new (numbered?) icon would appear in task-picker for it).  And for grouped tasks opened in the same window, the tab labels would be the primary task label.

Visually, I suggest staying away from using thumbnail windows as a taskpanel switcher.  I think a better solution would be to use the window-picker + mouse-over effect.  A window could "jump" to the font of a group on mouseover of the window-picker icons (when the mouse moves away, the window returns to the bottom of the stack).  If a moused-over window is the one you want at the top of your task group, you just single click its icon in window-picker and it stays at the top.  For computers that enable compiz, an effect could be used where the window appears to literally "jump" to the front, as in this video at the 30 second mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPqJWE1DEoI  In this way, it would be functionally similar to the "aero peek" found in Win7, but different in that it does not rely on thumbnails.

Win7 only uses two layers of applications (applications and tabs within running apps) because it does not support workspaces.  Further, Win7 mixes together apps and tabs in how it renders thumbnails.  In this regard, it is logically inconsistant.

-Brian