Re: All GNOME Shell Developers.

That's actually a very good idea: I rearrange the windows myself too.
But is it enough to provide an alternative to the application switching method?
I'm thinking in maximized applications, like a web-browser or open-office (I usually use them maximized).

Personally I think the biggest problem is not the speed (or lack thereof) when changing applications: I use the scale windows compiz plugin all the time, on a hot corner too.
What makes it worse than scaling is that you're not actually just scaling the windows, you're zooming out the whole desktop, which in my opinion hinders the experience. You're showing me useless information: applications, documents, other workspaces, and that's distracting.
Some people say they feel dizzy after a while: maybe an exaggeration but nonetheless. The idea is valid.
Like was previously said, we're using the overlay for EVERYTHING and that's probably not ideal.

Taking another hot corner for same-workspace window changing might not be a very good solution, but I think it would be a better alternative than the current one (NOTE: for changing applications in the SAME workspace, which seems to be the problem here).

Miguel Branco (Arlanthir)

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 11:54, Anton Kerezov <ankere gmail com> wrote:
В 11:37 +0100 на 19.12.2009 (сб), Thorsten Wilms написа:
> A taskbar is unnecessary, as long as there's enough to see of other
> windows you want to switch to. So, would it be feasible to always make
> sure this is the case? By clever placement. Plus showing the titlebar
> of
> a window that is completely hidden behind another one as tab on that
> window. In other words: windows that share a space also share a
> titlebar
> via tabbing.

I think that this is exactly what is missing in the new Gnome 3.0 as a
whole - a smart environment that is controlled by simple AI. What I mean
is for example the new window position. In current Gnome they all open
at the same place and I always move them to more suitable for my hand
and mouse place to work with (if they are not full screen). So why isn't
there something to remember my movement logic and to start arranging the
windows so that they are usable to me and not overlapping too much?

Another example is action prediction. If you do certain task an a
certain fashion (order) it would be logical the environment to remember
this somehow and present you adequate actions in certain places(open
files, list of programs you worked with, and relevant history)??

I think computers can do much more that they do right now and really
help us instead of loosing our time in the learning process and repeated
actions. Once I wrote about new menu system:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=102845
(can't find the old thread discussion)

P.S.
Promised a video mockup but unfortunately I don't know how would I
create one. Can anybody help me?