Re: People Overlay

> Certainly have opinions :)  We'll I think what we would be interested
> in exploring is being able to search for contacts directly from the
> Overview search box.  If a contact is found, the details display for
> that item should show some recent conversations etc.  So that would be
> cool.

Indeed ...

> Neat.  Having a single Contact list that combines contacts from
> evolution, empathy, google, facebook, etc would great.  We could even
> link this right to the User menu at the top right of the screen

Could you explain this a bit more? When you click on the user, you
have one item in the list that, when clicked, displays a new window
with all your contacts? Then you have to click to get a contact's
details?

I would like to see your contacts as a first-class desktop element.
That's why I liked the idea mentioned in the post I was referring to.
If contacts would be a Sidebar (for example on the right of your
window), I would like to start with adding the display of contact
information, extending this to become a chat client that is transport
agnostic (allowing to send text chat, email, sms, make phone/video
calls, ...) and finally enable it to share content with your friends
(or groups of friends) by simply dropping that content from the
applications you work with on a contact item in the contact sidebar.

> Cool.  I'll try to take a look.  Does this relate to the meta-contacts
> project that the Telepathy project has been talking about?

Indeed. But as said before it goes beyond telepathy's real-time
communication goals and integrates contacts from online services
(google, facebook ...), local applications and the services that
telepathy offers.

The people project is still very much in its infancy. I have no GUI
developed on top of the backend yet. That's why I was looking at
integration with Gnome Shell.

Kind Regards and thanks for your response!

Thomas