Re: Metacity, Mutter, GNOME Shell, GNOME-2.28

 Personally, we should cede the desktop to other projects like XFCE that work very well with minimal hardware requirements.  I've noticed a lot of projects in GNOMEFiles with goals to write "lightweight" panels and what not.  10 years is a reasonable amount of time to expect hardware requirements to change.  Looking forward seems to be the best course.

sri

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Ruben Vermeersch <ruben savanne be> wrote:
On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 14:24 +0200, Dodji Seketeli wrote:

> Tomas Frydrych a écrit :
> > Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >> I don’t think maintaining a few more packages (especially packages that
> >> already exist today) is a big effort. But it stills bother me if we are
> >> going to propose two entirely different user experiences with two
> >> different configurations. For the end user, it will just feel like we
> >> are shipping two desktop environments.
> >
> > I think that is a wrong way of looking at it; we are going to be
> > shipping one, unified desktop environment with a particular set of HW
> > requirements. In addition to this it will be possible to downgrade this
> > to the older Gnome desktop environment for legacy HW that does not meet
> > the requirements.
>
> I couldn't agree more.
>
> Furthermore, this is already the case today. The GNOME based environment running
> on my N810 tablet is different from the one I run on my "big iron" desktop
> machine. And I find that very cool that we can have different flavors of GNOME
> tailored for different HW capabilities - if, of course, we can afford it.
>
> I am not sure users are complaining about that state of things today.

Furthermore, users running old hardware generally don't expect to be
able to run state of the art software anyway.

Not that we should forcefully deny anyone running systems older than X
years, but neither should we let ancient hardware stand in the way of
innovation, when over Y% of the population runs machines that are
sufficiently capable.

  Ruben

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)