Re: I want my old fonts back!

Toralf Lund <toralf kscanners com> writes:
> I still don't think this is ideal, though. It seems to me that I can
> use *only* Xft (with our without aliasing, which is good) or *only*
> non-Xft fonts. Why can't I have both, i.e. all fonts available listed
> in the selection dialogues?

It doesn't make sense. Xft vs. non-Xft is NOT two different sets of
fonts. It's two different font backend libraries that can each display
any font you want to display.

If you want the font "FooBar" in Xft, then add "FooBar" to the Xft
configuration. If you don't want it in Xft, then don't add it.

Ditto for non-Xft; if you want a font there, then add it.
[ ... ]

Well, I admit I didn't check very carefully how it all works, but then again, I don't find a lot of documentation in the packages that would explain it.

What I do know, though, is that I get a lot more fonts from xlsfonts, xfontsel etc. than what I see in the Xft font selection dialogues, so *something* must be wrong with the default setup. Also, I'm a bit weary of learning new configuration file formats etc., and I'm a bit concerned about what I see as a tendency in the GNOME community for redesigning or reimplementing features when it would be more constructive to improve what already exists.

- Toralf