Re: I want my old fonts back!

Toralf Lund <toralf kscanners com> writes:
> I still don't think this is ideal, though. It seems to me that I can
> use *only* Xft (with our without aliasing, which is good) or *only*
> non-Xft fonts. Why can't I have both, i.e. all fonts available listed
> in the selection dialogues?

It doesn't make sense. Xft vs. non-Xft is NOT two different sets of
fonts. It's two different font backend libraries that can each display
any font you want to display.

If you want the font "FooBar" in Xft, then add "FooBar" to the Xft
configuration. If you don't want it in Xft, then don't add it.

Ditto for non-Xft; if you want a font there, then add it.

If you add all the fonts you want to both configurations, then
application font selectors would show two copies of every font, and
that would be really strange.

There is one case where you're right: Xft1 can't be configured to
handle PCF bitmap fonts. So you need to use the core X backend for
those. But Xft2 _can_ be configured to handle PCF bitmap fonts. So
with Xft2 it is truly pointless to use both font backends at once.

The upcoming Red Hat Linux release only displays Xft2 fonts, for this
reason. If you want a font that isn't listed, just add it to the
configuration.

Havoc