Re: 7.3 gnomehide updated

Per Kreuger <piak sics se> writes:
> Well, I guess a 1540x1024 laptop isn't exactly standard but 124 dpi
> can be _that_ unusal. In addition the version of gnome-terminal
> skipped with the hide has weird notions about the size if the glyphs
> in the standard fonts (e.g. fixed and courier) that makes a 24 by 80
> terminal in 10 point wider than the screen. Quite unusable...

"Fixed" isn't the fixed you expect, it's a font set including some
fonts with really wide chars. See /etc/pango/pangox.aliases.
Mac OS X solves this issue by making "character spacing" a saved
preference for the terminal; maybe we need to do that.

(To see how it's sort of supposed to look, install the Microsoft web
fonts, set GDK_USE_XFT=1 for your whole X session, and try "Andale
Mono" or some other nice monospace truetype font.)

> You mention that the rules might have to tweeked. Could I do that
> myself? Any pointers?

I think it involves code, or putting in a bogus dpi value.

You might want to screenshot the fonts you get for gtk-demo, and file
a bug on http://bugzilla.gnome.org.

Havoc