Re: 7.3 gnomehide updated

Havoc Pennington wrote:
Per Kreuger <piak sics se> writes:

Has anyone got the capplets in the version of sawfish distributed with
the hide to work with the new contol-center or libcapplet0?

This is screwed up, the problem is that we need not only the capplet
compat lib but also the old control center binary - which I think
conflicts with the new one. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do
about that. Maybe it's simple to deal with.

Running sawfish config without capplet support seems to have been an option but barfs in the current build. I'll have a look if I can get this to work again. That would avoid the problem until a version of Sawfish supporting the new control-center surfaces. The 2.0-pre1 in the latest garnome seems to work.

Also, the fonts in gnome2 based applications and on the desktop
appears _HUGE_. The only (somewhat) usable fonts are the 8 point
condenced ones. This is rather annoying.

My Xserver has a resoloution of about 124 dp (1540*1024 laptop
screen). I can get smaller fonts by explicitly specifying a lower dpi
in the Xserver but this seems like kludge...

The idea is that a "10 point" font should come out about the same
physical size on all displays. The rules for this may need a bit of tweaking. (1540x1024 laptop isn't the most common kind of display ;-)

Well, I guess a 1540x1024 laptop isn't exactly standard but 124 dpi can be _that_ unusal. In addition the version of gnome-terminal skipped with the hide has weird notions about the size if the glyphs in the standard fonts (e.g. fixed and courier) that makes a 24 by 80 terminal in 10 point wider than the screen. Quite unusable...

You mention that the rules might have to tweeked. Could I do that myself? Any pointers?

	piak