Rebuilding nautilus to include proxies

I am trying to rebuild the Red Hat 7.3 nautilus rpms from source, so that my proxies will be included, but I cannot seem to get it to work. In nautilus, if I replace 'proxy_host = NULL' with "proxy_host = proxy', 'proxy_port = 8080' with 'proxy_port = 3128', and 'has_proxy_type = FALSE' with 'has_proxy_type = TRUE', it won't rebuild. If I revert some of the entries, it will rebuild, but the proxies are not set. Does anyone have any idea how to rebuild these programs with proxies?

I heard that there is a config file in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/system/gnome-vfs/%gconf.xml where I could put in my proxy info, but the system directory does not exist. How do these files get created? Is there any way to put the proxy info into the rpm files?

Thanks,

Forrest