[Gnome-print] Re: Bug#: 54226

Hello!

On 08 May 2001 12:05:15 +0200, Drazen Kacar wrote:
> Lauris Kaplinski wrote:
> > + 2. I have fonts at locations which are not known to files in fonts
> > + directory (X.font, debian.font, etc.). How am I supposed to invoke
> > + gnome-font-install to add those fonts?
> > Starting from 0.27, you can simply do:
> > gnome-print-install your_fonts_directory1 your_fonts_directory2 ...
>
> OK, but that's too simple to be true. Therefore I have more questions. :-)
>
> a) What about directories with afm files? Some afm files will be in the
>    same directory with fonts, but some will be in the "afm" subdirectory.
>    Are both cases covered?

The procedure is:
1. Read fontmap and verify all font files. Build lists of good afm and
   pfb files
2. Scan directories and search afm, pfb files. Add these to lists, if
   not already present.
(2.5. Find and build aliases (fonts with different afm, pfb name))
3. Group files by font names
4. For every group, search:
   - pfb file with highest version number
   - afm file with highest version number <= pfb version

So wherever your font files are, it tries to build most meaningful set
of fonts from these.
Now the versioning is not perfect and there should really be a way to
manually select fonts. Also starting from next? version of gnome-print
we are using freetype, so having afm is not absolute neccesity.
Current aliasing is also poor, and does make sense only for those URW
fonts (and is thus provided only by .font files).

> b) I'm trying to make a binary package. So my installation script will
>    have some idea about the fonts in the directories, but not the exact
>    information. So it might happen that several directories will contain
>    the same fonts. What happens in this case?

Only single pair of files will be used. Which ones exactly I cannot
tell by heart, because the search order is swapped several times
during installation (due to g_list_prepend).
I think installer should be more exact here, and pick the first ones
in search sequence (fontmap, .font, user directories). But there are
certainly limits of automatic guessing, so fine-tuning should be let
to GUI font installer tool.

Also, I always suggest package builders to include version of fontmap
with gnome-print, and add ghostscript-fonts to required dependency list.
The guessing methods (using .font files) are basically meant for
building from source (so they have to work on most systems) - package
builders usually know very well, where ghostscript fonts actually are.
As of X and TeX fonts it probably makes sense to scan directories.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski