[Gnome-print] Bug#: 54226

Hello!

I'll respond directly and cc. to gnome-print list.

> Anyway, running "gnome-font-install --help" produces:
>
> ** CRITICAL **: file gnome-font-install.c: line 149 (main): assertion
> `poptGetNextOpt (ctx) == -1' failed.
>
> However, the main reason for this bug report is that README files
> offer insufficient information for installation of the package. So, if
> it's not a big problem, could you answer a few questions and add those
> answers to REAME?

OK. That is really a bug ;)

+ 1. Can gnome-print handle fonts which are not Latin 1?

Yes it can, as long as glyph names are understood. Certainly it
knows about latin, greek and cyrillic glyphs.
All fonts are reencoded anyways, so the original encoding does not
make any difference, only glyph names do.

+ 2. I have fonts at locations which are not known to files in fonts
+ directory (X.font, debian.font, etc.). How am I supposed to invoke
+ gnome-font-install to add those fonts?

Starting from 0.27, you can simply do:

gnome-print-install your_fonts_directory1 your_fonts_directory2 ...

And copy output to either:
$prefix/share/fonts/fontmap2
$HOME/.gnome/fonts/fontmap

Do not redirect, still, because that erases your original fontmap
before installation begins (and thus does not preserve old fonts) ;)

+ 3. If some fonts get deinstalled from the system, what am I supposed
to do?

Just run:

gnome-font-install

And copy its output to any of the two fontmap files. Installer verifies
all font files, so if you have deleted files, the fonts will be erased
too.

+ 4. I got PostscriptOptimized.profile file installed. It contains this
line:
+
+ output=command,lpr
+
+ Is this "lpr" just some text with internal meaning to gnome-print or
is it
+ a command name? If the later, I need to change it to "lp".

It is program name. Internally it will be interpreted as:

pipe gnome-print output to program 'lpr'

The alternative would be save to file.

+ 5. Everything in the tests directory dies a horrible death when I
click on
+ "OK". Is this just because gnome-print has not been installed to
system
+ directory?

Any error message?
If you have not installed gnome-print, there are no:
fontamp files
printer profiles
And tests needs these to be present.

Best wishes,