Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

On 4/9/06, Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org> wrote:

> >> But what's the point?
> >>

> > 1. It's good design to split up parts which are doing different things
> > ( You can also put all your code in one source file, but that's not good
> > design )
> >
> > 2. An applet would be much more consistent with how GNOME works at the
> > moment. If I want to add something to the panel I just add there by
> > doing "Add to panel" and if I want to remove it I choose "Remove from
> > panel". GNOME unlike windows luckily doesn't put many stuff
> > automagically in the panel :-)
> >
> It's worth pointing out that gnome-power-manager is very much a notifier
> rather than an interactive applet. If your power cable falls out, it
> pops up a message saying you've lost power. If you're working away from
> a power source, there's a battery indicator with how much power you've
> got left... that disappears when you're fully charged.
>
> (At least, that's how it's configured on my system.)

This isn't the default, FWIW. I do agree that making this the default
behavior  would be the best approach- better, IMHO, than a regular
panel applet. I only want to know about power when something bad is
going wrong, which is exactly what the notification area is for. An
applet is all the time, and so is the current default behavior in the
notification area- both of which are broken.

Luis

Luis