From: Matt Davey <mcdavey mrao cam ac uk>
To: The PalmOS(tm) integration package <gnome-pilot-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: Starting gnome-pilot minimised to tray / getting usb: sync to work first time
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:04:59 +0100

Hi Jamie,

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 21:09 +0100, Jamie Dow wrote:
> OK, I think that my original question was confused, and you've shed
> light on what was really required.

I don't think I shed quite enough light yet :)

> I've found that with syncing via usb: when I initially try and sync,
> it doesn't work. Then if I run the configuration applet, the sync does
> work.
>
> I'm guessing that the key thing that's making the difference is that
> running the applet ALSO serves to start the daemon.
>
> So, what in fact I need to do is get the daemon to be initiated on
> startup. And I assume that I can do that just by sticking a script
> into my autostart folder with the command "gpilotd".

There are three components to gnome-pilot:
  o  gpilotd: the daemon
  o  configuration applet: the GUI for changing settings.  This can
     be launched from Evolution under Edit->Synchronization Options...
  o  panel applet: This shows status on the panel when you are
     synchronizing and a progress window.  Adding this to the panel,
     as described in my last mail, should mean gpilotd starts when
     you start your gnome-session.

Matt