Re: cannot get ID number

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:25 +0200, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
> Matt Davey a écrit :
> > Hi Patrick,
> >
> > On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 11:13 +0200, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > working on Linux Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy and Gnome, I try to configure
> > > gnome-pilot and get the owner and ID number of my palm. The connexion
> > > is usb:
> > > When I connect, I get the owner name but the ID box stay empty.
> > >

> > Have you ever synced with that palm?  I have never seen this behaviour,
> > but I guess it could happen if the ID has never been set on the palm.
> >
> > If this is the case, you should be able to use the configuration applet
> > by claiming that the palm has never been used with sync software before.
> >

> Actually, yes, this palm m515 has been sinced under Windows many times
> (I owned it since several years) but it was my first attempt under
> Linux. I am a bit afraid that if I send a ID number through the
> applet, the Palm will no longer be recognised with the current
> settings of Palm Desktop under Windows ?
>

> > > If I go further eg with j-pilot, trying to synchronize, I get the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > "Pilot inconnu - aucun Pilot ne correspond à l'ID -1179155961 Utiliser
> > > gnomecc pour configurer gnome-pilot" which means: "Unknown Pilot - no
> > > Pilot corresponds to the ID -1179155961. Use gnomecc to configure
> > > gnome-pilot"
> > >

> > This message has come from gnome-pilot.  You will have to kill gpilotd
> > before trying to use j-pilot.
> >
> > Matt
> >

> Any hint about the command to use to kill gpilotd ?
>
> Thanks anyway for the hint...
>
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

In a console as a user is fine, run top

$ top

it will display a dynamic list of processes.  In the left hand column
look for the PID which is allocated to gpilotd eg 4782 and run kill,
thus:
$ k4782  (within top you only need k not kill)
and then confirm by hitting enter twice

gpilotd will disappear from the list of running processes

close the console.

Andrew Greig
Melbourne, Australia