Re: can't sync with Tungsten T2

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 09:50 +0100, Callum Macdonald wrote:
> I know I can't get my Treo 680 to sync via the cable (or at best it's
> very intermittent) but it works over bluetooth pretty reliably (bar
> the timezone issue!).

My 680 (and 650 prior to that) sync reliably using both libusb and the
standard kernel visor driver.

There are 3 common reasons why a device known to work, does not work for
everyone:

	1. Bad usb cables/ports/hubs used in the process. Eliminate the
           obvious, and sync with just Palm->cable->PC (and nothing
           in-between, not even a hub).

	2. Bad configuration on the OS itself (udev, kernel module,
           conflicting daemons running, pointing to the wrong port).

	3. Improper timing between hitting HotSync and launching the
           client application to communicate with the device. In some
           cases, it may take up to 10 seconds from the time you hit
           HotSync on the physical device, to the point where the OS
           recognizes it and presents it to the application layer for
           communication. Play with the timing, wait longer, wait less,
           until you notice that it works every time.

One caveat which I've been recently testing... it appears that a
client-side setting of 9600 for a port speed (even on USB), seems to
cause "flaky" repeatable synchronization.

If your client application (KPilot, gpilotd, etc.) is using this speed,
set it to 115200 and try again. I confirmed this recently with KPilot,
and it may also exist as an anomaly in other applications as well.

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com