Re: How do I use the "File" conduit

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, marklist healeyonline com wrote:
> This is on an FC3 box.  As I migrate form My Kyocera 7135 to
> my Zire 72s I'm having problems moving some stuff.
> Databases for Pilot DB and HandyShopper (An incredibly handy
> program) mostly.
>
> I can't get pilot-xfer to work because it expects /dev/pilot
> to be there when it starts and that isn't created until I
> hit the hotsync button and disappears until the pilot times
> out.  If I hit the hotsync button before running it it
> doesn't work either.

What you can do is start the hotsync on the PDA, then after 1-2 sec., start
pilot-xfer. Works great for me.

> I have the files conduit enabled in the Pilot Settings.  I
> just don't know where to put the files to be transfered.  I
> have a several palms and gpilot-install-file only has the
> --now and --later switches, none to specify which pilot.
>
> How do I go about this?

In my version of gnome-pilot (2.0.12), there's a '-p' or '--pilot' option.

> Another thing.  There are a couple of locked applets I'd
> like to get off the 7135 and try on the Zire.  I paid for
> them I should be able to.  How do I go about unlocking them
> if I can at all?

What I've done in the past is put them on my new PDA and hope they work. If
they don't, I try to find the key that I was given at the time of purchase. If
I can't find the key, I e-mail the developer of the program with my information
and ask how I can unlock the program (how they know I ordered the product, I
don't know). Two applications I've done this on were 4.0Student (grade-tracking
software for when I was in school) and CryptInfo (password-protected program
with an encrypted DB for password and other info storage)

Nathan Owens

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs