Re: How to Sync Handspring Using GNOME PIM Conduit?

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 14:35, Michael G. Morey wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a Handspring Treo

What kind of Treo?  The 300 is known to lock up the machine hard after
hotsync for all kernels before 2.6.7...

> I'd like to synchronize with Ximian Evolution
> 1.4 using the GNOME PIM conduit.

That's how you hotsync GNOME PIM, it's not how you hotsync Evolution.
The evolution package should have those.

Also, the GNOME PIM conduit is unmaintained and severely broken, see
http://bugs.debian.org/157030 (but you don't seem to be using
gnome-pim).

> I'm running the GNOME 2.2 back port on
> Debian Woody

I highly recommend upgrading to sarge, which is quite stable (and as of
tomorrow, will have GNOME 2.6).

> with kernel version 2.4.26 on a Dell Latitude D800, and
> PalmOS v. 3.5.2H6.0.  I've launched the PalmOS Devices applet, and a
> Gnome Pilot Settings window appears.  I click 'Forward' to continue.
> The default palm port device is /dev/pilot, which is a symbolic link to
> /dev/ttyUSB0.  I don't in fact know if /dev/ttyUSB0 is the correct
> device.

It should be ttyUSB0 or maybe ttyUSB1 (my Treo 300 is on ttyUSB1).
These have nothing to do with the port or "address", they are the first
and second serial channels to any USB device.

> I have the Treo connected to the bottom-left USB port on my
> Dell Latitude D800 D/View advanced port replicator, and have no idea to
> which device this corresponds, but see these messages in /var/log/syslog:
>
> Jun 17 11:45:55 turing kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.7-6.4,
> assigned address 4
> Jun 17 11:45:55 turing kernel: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod
> 0x82d/0x100) is not claimed by any active driver.
>
> I'm guessing that the actual device should be /dev/ttyUSB4.  I have
> read/write access to all the /dev/ttyUSB? devices, BTW.

See above.

> The Gnome Pilot Settings 'Cradle Settings' dialog now appears as follows:
>
> Name:  Cradle
> Port:  /dev/ttyUSB4
> Speed:  57600
> Timeout:  2
> Type:  USB
>
> I click 'Forward' to continue.  I select 'No, I've never used sync
> software with this pilot before.'  I enter a User Name and ID.  I'm not
> sure that the exact values are critical at this point.  I click
> 'Forward' to continue.  I'm not at the 'Initial Sync.'  I'm instructed
> to 'Please put pilot in Cradle (/dev/ttyUSB4) and press HotSync
> button.'  I do so.  Nothing happens.
>
> My Debian packages include the following:
>
> ii gnome-pilot 2.0.10-0jds4 A GNOME applet for management of your Palm PDA
> ii gnome-pilot-conduit 2.0.10-0jds3 Conduits for gnome-pilot
> ii jpilot 0.99.2-2 A GTK app to modify the contents of your Palm Pilots D
> ii jpilot-plugins 0.99.2-2 Plugins for jpilot (Palm Pilot desktop)
> ii kpilot 3.1.4-0woody1 KDE Palm Pilot hot-sync tool
> ii libgnome-pilot2 2.0.10-0jds4 Support libraries for gnome-pilot
> ii pilot-link 0.11.8-8.backports. Tools to communicate with a PalmOS PDA
>
> Am I being naive in assuming that I can sync my Handspring Treo with the
> GNOME 2.2 PIM conduit?  Can this be done?

See above...  gnome-pilot and gnome-pilot-conduit are right,
gnome-pim-conduits is wrong (in fact, I think gnome-pim has been removed
from sarge).

Okay.  Let's start simple, do:

pilot-xfer -l -p /dev/ttyUSB0

then try with ttyUSB1.  Either just before or just after (whichever
works), hit the Treo's sync button.  What do you see?  It should list
the files on the Treo.

> Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

No problem. :-)

-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg