How to Sync Handspring Using GNOME PIM Conduit?

All,

I have a Handspring Treo I'd like to synchronize with Ximian Evolution 1.4 using the GNOME PIM conduit. I'm running the GNOME 2.2 back port on Debian Woody with kernel version 2.4.26 on a Dell Latitude D800, and PalmOS v. 3.5.2H6.0. I've launched the PalmOS Devices applet, and a Gnome Pilot Settings window appears. I click 'Forward' to continue. The default palm port device is /dev/pilot, which is a symbolic link to /dev/ttyUSB0. I don't in fact know if /dev/ttyUSB0 is the correct device. I have the Treo connected to the bottom-left USB port on my Dell Latitude D800 D/View advanced port replicator, and have no idea to which device this corresponds, but see these messages in /var/log/syslog:

Jun 17 11:45:55 turing kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.7-6.4, assigned address 4 Jun 17 11:45:55 turing kernel: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x82d/0x100) is not claimed by any active driver.

I'm guessing that the actual device should be /dev/ttyUSB4. I have read/write access to all the /dev/ttyUSB? devices, BTW.

The Gnome Pilot Settings 'Cradle Settings' dialog now appears as follows:

Name:  Cradle
Port:  /dev/ttyUSB4
Speed:  57600
Timeout:  2
Type:  USB

I click 'Forward' to continue. I select 'No, I've never used sync software with this pilot before.' I enter a User Name and ID. I'm not sure that the exact values are critical at this point. I click 'Forward' to continue. I'm not at the 'Initial Sync.' I'm instructed to 'Please put pilot in Cradle (/dev/ttyUSB4) and press HotSync button.' I do so. Nothing happens.

My Debian packages include the following:

ii gnome-pilot 2.0.10-0jds4 A GNOME applet for management of your Palm PDA
ii gnome-pilot-conduit 2.0.10-0jds3 Conduits for gnome-pilot
ii jpilot 0.99.2-2 A GTK app to modify the contents of your Palm Pilots D
ii jpilot-plugins 0.99.2-2 Plugins for jpilot (Palm Pilot desktop)
ii kpilot 3.1.4-0woody1 KDE Palm Pilot hot-sync tool
ii libgnome-pilot2 2.0.10-0jds4 Support libraries for gnome-pilot
ii pilot-link 0.11.8-8.backports. Tools to communicate with a PalmOS PDA

Am I being naive in assuming that I can sync my Handspring Treo with the GNOME 2.2 PIM conduit? Can this be done?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

--
Michael Morey