Re: Handpring Visor connects from commandline but not gui

>  Unfortunately, I can only get the id as root.

	I *SERIOUSLY* hope you're not running gnome/Evolution as root.

>   ERROR: Permission denied
>    Unable to bind to port '/dev/ttyUSB1'
>    Please use --help for more information

	Ah, an old version of pilot-link. Change the permissions on
/dev/ttyUSB1 and try again as a normal user who can read and write to
that port.

> I have read the --help and have not found anything that helps.  I am a
> little scared about changing the permissions on /dev/ttyUSB1.  Any help
> would be grateful.

>  got it working only when I run evolution from root.

	You're scared of changing permissions on a device, but you have no
problem running X and Evolution and gnome as root!? Boggle.

	Change the permissions to 0666 or greater and try that. If you had been
running the current version of pilot-link, it would have suggested this
as an option for the error you received.

d.