Re: Handpring Visor connects from commandline but not gui

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 08:14, Neil West wrote:
> I have just gotten the visor to connect to my computer from the command
> line using the following command:  pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -l
> Whenever I try to do this via the gui, it just times out on the
> handspring.

	pilot-link doesn't have a GUI, so I assume you mean gnome-pilot's GUI?
Or are you syncronizing to Evolution? Or something else?

	Increase the timeout to something like 40 or 100 in your
gpilot-control-panel applet thingy.

> To fix this, you should just press the hot synch button a little
> before attempting the synch on the Linux side.  I cannot get this
> to work.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.

	Yes, this is how the electronics work. You must create the electrical
connection from Palm to cradle, and then the cradle will connect itself
to the desktop, which allows the kernel driver (visor) to bind itself to
the usbserial/usb subsystem and give you access to the hardware from
userland. You can't turn on a light, without screwing in a lightbulb,
and USB devices are the same way.

d.