Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

tis 2002-06-25 klockan 05.55 skrev Miles Lane:
> On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 18:51, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > As Bastien has pointed out, we can probably auto-detect the need for
> > most of this stuff. Detect an LCD? Try sub-pixel anti-aliasing. Detect a
> > PCMCIA slot? Install PCMCIA software. Detect a battery, install modes
> > for power saving. etc. Probably not super-important since its not a
> > technical question (pretty much every user knows the difference between
> > a laptop and a desktop), but its still one more question we could
> > potentially save asking.
> >
> > Just playing devil's advocate here :-)
>
> On the other hand, we may not want to prompt users to
> pop in our installation CD every time the hardware changes.
> There might be benefit in painting with a slightly broader
> brush.  In that case, if a user says, "Laptop install",
> we might install various laptop-related stuff that isn't
> necessarily currently detected.  This might involve checking
> for how much free disk space is available.  If the machine
> has a 25GB drive, we could probably install a few more odds
> and ends to ease the use of the machine down the road.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to install different packages
depending on how much free hard disk the user might have left for the
moment. I think that can be pretty confusing:

Two users talk to each other:

User A: "Just click on the panel and add Applet Foo"
User B: "I don't have that"
User A: "Didn't you install on your laptop?"
User B: "Yes I did"
User A: "Hmm .. I got it when I installed GnomeOS on my laptop, how
         strange"
User B: "Now what?"

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/