Location chooser (was Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !])

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 23:59, Bastien Nocera wrote:
<snip>
> Location chooser (there are some scripts, packaged with debian that
> integrate well, I have urls somewhere in my mail archive)

Just for kicks.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2001/debian-powerpc-200108/msg00462.html

Starting here is one of the most interesting conversation I've seen on
the subject.

Possible solutions:

Quickswitch: http://www.muthanna.com/quickswitch/Docs/docs.html
Pros: handles devices, dns, and nfs mounts
Cons: doesn't use the infrastructure of the distro^W^WDebian ;)

intuitively: in debian or http://www.add.no/~tollef/intuitively/
Pros: handles any kind of config file, autodetects the IP network (!)
Cons: doesn't handle DNS, needs user input to detect the network (MAC
address of one of the machines that will be on the network)

home-made:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2001/debian-powerpc-200108/msg00505.html
Pros: uses infrastructure
Cons: possibly not so solid

dnrd: in debian
It's a plain DNS proxy. I think we *might* need this. Libc and co seems
to do crazy caching when it comes to DNS' so this might need to be
installed to ease off the pain. Anybody knows about this ?

We also need to think of a mail server. exim has a very good debconf
script that asks most of the question one would need to setup his mail.
Apart from one thing, it worked great for me (I need the mail software
to send my mails automatically out when I connect onto my home network)

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net