Re: GNOME xdg-app runtime doesn't follow the jhbuild modulesets

On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 08:10 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org>
wrote:

Less on-topic, but why some GNOME-hosted libraries like libpeas are
in
meta-gnome-extended-devel-platform and some are in
gnome-suites-core-deps? I thought that all the GNOME libraries were
part
of the GNOME development platform. If officially it is not the
case, in
practice it is, since by definition GNOME core depends on them.

Being hosted on gnome.org is not directly related to being part of the
GNOME development platform.

GtkSourceView, which was in the example, is only used by 4 apps,
libpeas is used by 7 of the 24 applications in gnome-apps-nightly. In
comparison, gnome-desktop is used by 9 applications.

It doesn't seem too weird to me that libpeas or GtkSourceView aren't in
the SDK. It seems rather weird to me that gnome-desktop is used so
much, probably a side-effect of the thumbnailing API still living in
gnome-desktop instead of GTK+/gio or gdk-pixbuf.

For non-GNOME-hosted libraries, then it makes sense to not include
them
in the GNOME runtime, of course.

Not really, no. The runtime needs to be dependency-closed. Where
something is hosted does not really figure into this much. For
example, GTK+ depends on cairo (freedesktop.org), harfbuzz
(freedesktop.org), epoxy (github). All of these need to be in the
runtime for GTK+ to work.