Re: GNOME OS Goals

On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 08:50 -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:

> Do we have the "elevator pitch"?

So I maintain the wiki page:
https://live.gnome.org/OSTree/GnomeOSTree
which is a part of the broader effort.  I'e just updated it to clarify
what I want to accomplish, and added a new "Non goals" section.

Of these, the first two I see as of critical importance.  Functional
continuous integration is one of the most critical building blocks that
any competent and mature software project must have, along
with peer review of changes.

For downstream consumers that embed GNOME inside larger software
collections (e.g. Linux distributions), this sort of thing is basically
purely beneficial to them.

The OS/application split, well...let's just say I don't want to put my
name on a future where dpkg/rpm delete the files from underneath Firefox
as it's running, and the best we do is patch Firefox to say "I'm broken
now!".  A GNOME push in this direction does conflict with many
distributions, but they are also free to ignore the technology.

That's the elevator pitch I'd give to say the Debian packagers of GNOME.