Re: design update

On 02/11/04 13:03:45, Alan Horkan wrote:
Feel free to buy me a good usability book to read and give me some one else to quote instead. :)

Ask me. Ask me about anything and I'll give you something to quote (functionally valid or otherwise, but it will be something worth quoting). "Everyone has the right to my opinion."

I'll give you an example:

Alan: Where should a search box go on a web page?

Eric: It should be available at the top, but not distracting from title; that is to say, it is O.K. to place it somewhere other than the VERY top right of the page in question. Problems that could occur is that if the page requires horizontal scrolling, a search box on the very right could be lost. On the left or in the center, however, it could break the apparent flow of the page if it disrupts the structure from the title of the page to the content. Placing it within a structured column along the edge of the content, while often recommended, can, in some cases appear distracting; the search box, when appealable within the seperated column, should have itsown field, so is not to disrupt the remaining content type, e.g. links or images.

Optional answer:
Where it can be found quickly without pissing off the people who have no interest in acknowledging its existence.

---------

I'll also answer any question where people often lack common sense.
I have found it is often easier to apply common sense to other people than oneself; unfortunately, these people are ither foolish and call it wisdom, or confused and call it F*ing annoying.

The last AWN-free day is always the sweetest,
-Eric