Re: A rewritten gnome-sound-recorder

Hi

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Florent Thévenet <feuloren free fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm coding a new gnome-sound-recorder from scratch, using Vala as
> programing language, and based on Hylke Bons mockups
> http://www.bomahy.nl/hylke/blog/gnome-voice-recorder/

Thanks for your work, it's very welcome!

During GUADEC, Jon McCann was questioning the gnome-sound-recorder
place in GNOME 3.0.

And I must agree, it doesn't fit so well. With things like the shell
and zeitgeist/tracker etc.., the sound recorder has a poor integration
and lack of "modern" features (thing about gnome-share etc..).

However, I belive that recording audio is an essential feature of a
desktop, so I wouldn't drop it. But tbh, I dream that the design team
would come up with a better plan for audio recording.

For instance, I would prefer to have a no-application approach, and
instead use the volume/audio applet, adding a "start recording" action
(perhaps even a standard keyboard shortcut, or added in the screenshot
dialog), defaulting to my default recording profile (probably one that
is sensible for my laptop and my mobile device). The result should be
easily searchable from the GNOME shell sidebar or zeitgeist (or an
open file dialog). The edition of filename & metadata would be done by
a seperate program, as well as transcoding or anything else you may
want to do with audio files (share, edit, transform etc..)

But this is just some ideas, in the meantime, you have some mockup to
work on, so go for it!

--
Marc-André Lureau