Re: Presets and profiles

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) schrieb:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Stefan Kost <ensonic hora-obscura de> wrote:
>
>> Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller schrieb:
>>
>>> I think Stefan meant more as a libgstreamer-gtk or something like that,
>>> so a separate library hosted and shipping alongside the current
>>> GStreamer modules.
>>>
>>> Christian

>> ds has a gtk-video widget. I have a gstreamer debug menu. All those things could
>> be bundeled in an exttra library.
>>

>   Sure but the question is do they really belong in one library?
> o-hand guys have something similar:
> http://labs.o-hand.com/av-widget-library/ . These set of widgets are
> really useful/good on their own but I am not exactly sure it was a
> good idea to put them all in one library. E.g We can't use the
> TagReader widget in Rygel because then we'll have a dep on Gtk.
>
>    Don't take it the wrong way, all i am saying is that lets not
> bundle UI-related stuff in the same lib as the non-UI stuff.

Again, thats exactly the plan. We should have:
gst-plugins-base/gst-libs/gst/{encoding,transcoding,pbutils}
  - create a source media description (basically a list of pads), also
have a utility function here to create that from
   an existing pipeline (take all unconnected src pads) - that can be
used for transcoding
  - a way to enumerate possible output formats for a source media
description (like if source is audio+video, don't offer wav)
  - a way to create an encodebin from a output-fomat profile
  - a utility function to connect the source-media to the encode-bin
gst-plugins-base/gst-libs/gst/ui-{gtk,qt,...}
  - among other things a dialog that given a source media description,
with let the user choose a output-format profile and return that

If we can agree that list of pads is good for source media description,
we need to figure what we can use for the target format description.
Imho this is like the device profiles that Uraeus described on the wiki.

Stefan