Re: [Totem] Browser plugin gstreamer

Felipe,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 21:17 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> The context was non-emulating plugins.
>>
>> Website designers need to target a specific mime-type/plugin that will
>> support a documented API. You can either create your own mime-type, thus
>> plugin API, and nobody will use it (look on Google for the number of
>> sites supporting application/x-totem-plugin). Or you can emulate widely
>> used plugins from other platforms.
>>
>> Which mime-type would your plugin support then?
>
> video/x-msvideo
> video/divx
> video/avi
> video/ogg

I don't think you get the point. Videos online aren't .avi files, or .wmv.

They are .asx files, or quicktime *reference files* (not media files).
These are playlists. Your player won't play them, and gstreamer
doesn't support them. totem-pl-parser adds support for that. This
means that although wikicommons may work, cnn, nbc and abc won't, and
that's the videos that the larger audience will be trying to play.

Nowadays, all these use flash or silverlight anyway, so all this
discussion is sort of from a previous era...

Ronald