Re: [Totem] Browser plugin gstreamer

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 16:46 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
<snip>
> >> Is playlist support a must-have feature? If so, probably should be
> >> handled by a GStreamer element. Fullscreen support should not be that
> >> difficult, but I leave that to somebody else.
> >
> > Yes, it's a must-have.
>
> If you are trying to emulate other plugins then yes, I see how that
> could be required.

Even a plugin that doesn't try to support the APIs of those foreign
plugins will certainly need playlist support to be competitive...

> > FWIW, you can probably have a complete web browser plugin in not much
> > space by packaging it properly in a sub-package.
> >
> > $(libdir)/mozilla/plugins/*
> > $(libexecdir)/totem-plugin-viewer
>
> This is one of the things I didn't like when I analyzed the totem
> plugin: why require an external process?

Because video decoders are rubbish, and you don't want to do video
decoding in the same space as the web browser. A crafted video playing
inside the web browser could make it send your whole password wallet to
some website. With a separate program, it will just crash :)

> > $(libdir)/libbaconvideowidget.so.0.0.0 (shared with Totem itself)
> > $(pkgdatadir)/mozilla-viewer.ui
> > $(pkgdatadir)/fullscreen.ui (shared with Totem itself)
> >
> > That comes in under a meg stripped...
>
> I guess it depends on what is required.

Can certainly be smaller if you remove some of the compatibility
plugins.