Re: Common music database?

Oh yeah the reason i asked for HAL inclusion (although this should be also discussed on xdg list i take it, but TBH the xdg list is just dead and alot of xdf people are present here just as well) is that BMP uses the HAL device and volume UDI to make only *those* files accesible and visible to the user that currently _are_ accessible.

I.e. you start BMP, add 2000 files from your usb harddisk, unplug the usb harddisk, and they are hidden in the library cause they're just not accessible; the mount point of this harddisk doesn't matter and it can change, all that's important is the HAL UDI

(If someone goes about to argue HAL doesn't have UDIs for everything yet: right. If someone goes about to argue that a HAL UDI is "unreliable": Not really. It's for one more reliable than a mountpoint, given that the device and volume UDI stay the same, and if they change (i.e. you get a new volume UDI for the same device UDI) you can with sane reason assume it's a new volume, i.e. it got formatted or it's another partition of some harddisk).

The paradigm here is "We're not talking about missing files yet, but first about a missing device": BMP will also not prune files from the library (when asked to prune it) whose device/volume is currently not plugged, as it's not reasonable to say that "they aren't there anymore". They can be very well "there", just on a device that's not present. That's the same as you can't tell if Daisy has got her hair colored red if she's currently not at the party. Heh.

Well a little more information is on our Codeblog: http://blog.beep-media-player.org/?postid=2 (Note that this has been rewritten to use HAL instead of sysfs directly)

Jamie: Please add this to Tracker! Maybe not make files invisible completely when the device and volume aren't there, but give them a boolean type flag that indicates that for every file, so that this is a wholly optional issue.

(One could go as far as adding a "last seen" date for that device/volume pair, so apps, or even Tracker itself, can say, e.g. after 90 days "Are you sure you want to keep this metadata still around? The files seem to be gone for a rather long time")

On 3/31/06, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 15:46 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > How is FirstSeen specific to audio files?
>
> Actually we dont need Audio.FirstSeen as Audio.LastPlay wont be set if
> its fresh!

Not strictly true.  I may have added the song two years ago but not
played it, and I certainly don't want it in a list of New Songs.

> > Sound Juicer sets the following tags:
> >
> > * track title
> > * track artist
> > * track number
> > * total number of tracks
> > * album name
> > * encoder name
> > * encoder version
> > * MusicBrainz album ID
> > * MB artist ID
> > * MB album artist ID
> > * MB track ID
> > * genre
> > * release date
> >
> > It's a known bug that it isn't writing sortable track artist name and
> > album artist names, so consider those in the list too.
>
> Sorry, is
>
> right so I need to add Audio.AlbumTrackCount, Audio.CodecVersion ,
> Audio.AlbumArtist and your MB fields (are these all integers?).

MusicBrainz fields are UUIDs.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross burtonini com
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com