Re: Common music database?

Well Tracker looks certainly very cool (really), but this brings up the problem again that each player has it's own way of dealing with metadata internally, and the question is how much do we want to spec here?

For example in BMP experimental (the `bmpx' repository in our SVN), we use, as i've already said, a relation type library and hence there's no much use for us for an SQL or SQL based, or otherwise query based external system apart from the _raw storage_.

Tracker again isn't just raw storage, it's somewhat more, and i dare to say that any player that would want to make full use of Tracker as the (shared) metadata/database backend would have to either sacrifice a lot of own features it supports, or have really a lot of very whacked and very weird code (as bindings always tend to have a lot of blood and bonesplitter in them).

So to put the point: _How much_ do we want to spec here? And Sriram, since you hinted us towards Tracker, what was your intent or what do you think on this issue?

(Just for the sake: In our case it would basically mean throwing away our entirel relation type library, or writing some kind of connector between that and Tracker, which runs down to exactly the 2 options i've mentioned above, and of which none sounds very pleasing to me.)

--Milosz