Re: gnome-cd

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:41:07 +0200
> From: Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>
> To: Leonardo Pereira <leonardu_lopes yahoo com>
> Cc: gnome-multimedia gnome org
> Subject: Re: gnome-cd
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 20:59, Leonardo Pereira wrote:
> > I was reading some past messages of this list and have
> > read that are some projects to purge gnome-cd of
> > gnome-media and put sound-juicer in its place. My
> > question is: Why sound-juicer? It has a ugly interface
> > and add a play button will not do it a good cd-player.
> > I think that we already have better options, like
> > goobox, that already is player and a ripper, it has a
> > beautiful interface.
>
> I love flames.

I don't.  If you are arguing on the Internet you've already lost.

> S-J is part of the GNOME desktop, so it surely can't be that bad.

Sound juicer is a good ripper.

The point is not that it "can't be that bad" rather that it is different
from what some people have come to like about Gnome CD player.

As with just about every program in Gnome there is more that could be done
to improve it and I don't think even the biggest fans of Sound Juicer
would claim it is perfect and requires no futher developement.  (which
reminds me, requests to file...)

> Gnome-CD sucks, people agree on that.

In some ways Gnome CD sucks.  Even I can see the code is getting old
and troublesome to maintain.  I do not think the User Interface is the
worst aspect of Gnome CD, in fact I quite like having a simple straight
forward CD player.

> Next step is obvious.

Depends on what exactly you mean.

Being able to playback and preview tracks in a Ripper is an obvious next
step, true.

Killing off the standalone CD Player because there are other applications
which have CD Playback is not so obvious.

I see two quite seperate tasks and although I would be happy to use Sound
Juicer as a Ripper that doesn't make it an obvious choice to use as a
standalone CD player.

I wont deny Gnome CD has problems and it would need a lot of work (and I'm
not likely to be the one to do it) but leaving it in Gnome a while longer
should be relatively harmless and I hope that is not too much to ask.

> We don't want to limit you,

My concern is that if you kill of Gnome CD Player you will be limiting me.
I hope Leaving Gnome CD alive a while longer will not cause you trouble.
Buidling Gnome CD from CVS would be a lot of hassle for those of us out
there who would like you to let it be and let it survive quietly a while
longer.

Software churn is not a good thing.

If this had been only about improving Sound Juicer and if you hadn't made
this out to be a mission to kill Gnome CD player there probably would not
have been flames.  Don't feed the trolls, please try and meet us half way.
If you can leave Gnome CD Player alone and focus on making Sound Juicer
better the rest will take care of itself.

> we just want to eradicate ugly software,
> and gnome-cd definitely is ugly.

Supermodels are more attractive than programmers.  The point is letting
Gnome CD live a while longer will give people time to get more comfortable
with Sound Juicer and help improve it and talk of killing of Gnome CD may
create flames which you find entertaining but does it really make any
difference to Sound Juicer?

Please, please, please stop making this about Gnome CD Player.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan