Re: gnome-cd

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Ross Burton wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:11:27 +0100
> From: Ross Burton <ross burtonini com>
> To: gnome-multimedia gnome org
> Subject: Re: gnome-cd
>
> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 08:55 +0200, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > Goobox: ~20,000 pages. S-J: ~161,000 pages.
> > Wikipedia: has a S-J page, Goobox does not.
> > Distributions: all that I know include S-J by default (Fedora, Ubuntu,
> > Novell even advertizes it on their website).
>
> You left out "last non-translation commit to CVS":
>
>     SJ: 2005-07-04
> Goobox: 2005-04-05
>
> Amusingly, the that code-change to Goobox was adding a preference to use
> Sound Juicer to rip CDs with.  I really want someone to explain that to
> me.

It means Sound Juicer is a good Ripper, but it contradicts Ronalds
suggestion that the popularity of Sound Juicer _as a Ripper_ implies it is
a good reason to remove Gnome CD Player.

Please do create alternatives, add CD Playback to more applications to
more applications (Rhythmbox, Totem, whatever), give people less reason to
want to use Gnome CD Player but please please please do not throw out
Gnome CD Player (baby, bathwater, etc).  As Gnome CD gets older and the
alternatives get better you will be able to quietly deprecate Gnome CD and
remove it without any fuss so there is no need to rush the process.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan