Re: Ideas and graph

Le mar 17/09/2002 à 16:41, Guenter Bartsch a écrit :
> hi bastien,
>
> On 09/17, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > > humm - i'm just wondering what to do about this from the xine side. if
> > > totem is going to switch to another library anyway, i guess gnome-xine
> > > will need to be developed and supported further (since a lot of people
> > > certainly want to have xine on their gnome-desktop).
> >
> > Totem will use compile-time configuration probably. I guess that people
> > that want Xine on their desktops already use xine-ui, not Totem anyway.
> > Totem is a movie player that just works :)
>
> uohm - i guess people who make binary packages will not be happy about
> this aproach ... had to learn this the hard way in 3 years of xine
> developement :)

As a packager, I don't agree on this particular example.. I agree
runtime choice is good for xine (or xmms or gstreamer) to handle
different content or output.
But for totem (and the same applies for gnome-terminal), we (packagers
and vendors) have to choose ONE backend otherwise packaging and bug
reports are not maintainable anymore..

> > You're making gnome-xine as a Gnome UI with the same faults/problems
> > that xine-ui has for end-users. In the end, Totem will probably have
> > something like 5 or 6 config options, not much more. Xine has a
> > gazillion, most of them aren't useful for the end-user.
>
> the config option complexity problem is beind addressed in the new api
> where each config option is associated with a "experience level" option
> so beginners will only see few config options while experts can still
> have full control over everything. i think nautilus for example uses a
> similar aproach.

It has been removed from nautilus 2.0, because it wasn't convenient and
users weren't quite happy with it IIRC..

--
Frederic Crozat
MandrakeSoft