Re: Ideas and graph

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 12:30, Guenter Bartsch wrote:
> hi thomas,

> > > Please read the rest of your gnome-multimedia mailbox, this has been
> > > rehashed lots. :-)
> >
> > I'm guessing Guenter just joined the list, so he probably didn't get
> > those.  The archives are out there though.  We're a bit too young of a
> > mailing list to already pick up discussions again ;)
>
> uh, sorry - i'll have a look at the mailing list archives then :)
>
> > But (without wanting to answer for Bastien) it looks like totem will keep
> > supporting xine but will start using gstreamer as well in the future.
>
> humm - i'm just wondering what to do about this from the xine side. if
> totem is going to switch to another library anyway, i guess gnome-xine
> will need to be developed and supported further (since a lot of people
> certainly want to have xine on their gnome-desktop).

Totem will use compile-time configuration probably. I guess that people
that want Xine on their desktops already use xine-ui, not Totem anyway.
Totem is a movie player that just works :)

You're making gnome-xine as a Gnome UI with the same faults/problems
that xine-ui has for end-users. In the end, Totem will probably have
something like 5 or 6 config options, not much more. Xine has a
gazillion, most of them aren't useful for the end-user.

I see Totem and gnome-xine as having different targets.

> also i'd like to hear from you if there's anything wrong with libxine or
> if you have any wishes/feature requests - libxine's api is currently
> being redesigned so this is the time to consider these. there are also
> some efforts going on to push libxine into the direction of video
> processing/editing and what's exiting about this one is that it looks

Video processing and editing ? Blimey, I hoped that Xine would just be a
movie player and do it well...

> like this isn't going too take too much effort (even though libxine was
> never designed for that).

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera