Re: Cd Burning (XML File format)

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:47:09PM +0200, Manuel Clos wrote:
> John McCutchan wrote:
> >My thoughts were that the bonobo interface would translate the xml
> >into whatever format the backend is using. We shouldn't model our
> >data structure around a specific backend.
> >
> >Just to add to the file format, we should add a type of iso to
> >the track type, so that we can support just burning an iso as one of
> >the tracks on the cd. Also it might be usefull to keep some options
> >of the cd compilations like dao/tao, etc.. in the file, so that
> >it is a more self contained, for example you could setup a complicated
> >compilation and then send it to your friend where all they would have
> >to do is right click on it in nautilus and select burn.
>
> I also like the idea of using xml for the file format. I just pointed
> that then you are tied to the gnome burning tools.

Not really, if try and get it adopted as a standard file format by
all cd burning front ends.

> This can be solved making a simple command line program that supports
> reading this xml and then use the bonobo object or the shared lib to do
> the work.

Exactly, if we offer a library/command-line tool then all cd burning
front ends can use this same file format.

> So basically the GUI builds the compilation, writes an xml file and
> passes it as a parameter to "gnome-burn".

Yep, this will simplify the gui construction of such tools, and also
make it very easy to incorporate into nautilus. We could add a nautilus
view for this format, and drag and drop files, then hit burn. Or
select a few files, and right click and select burn or make compilation.

> Write a .toc or .cue from the xml will be an added feature.
>
> There is still the problem of reading .toc and .cue file formats.

That should be reasonably easy, we could even extend the xml file format
so that you can embed toc/cue files in them, since when we eventually
get down the lower level all we want is a toc/cue file its a no
brainer.