A baggage-free approach to gnome-media

This mailing list has taken off really well and no doubt 2.2 and beyond
will have a very rich selection of multimedia apps.

I'm probably not the first one to think of this(as usual) but I would
like to make one small suggestion as to how the list of gnome 2.2 media
apps should be drawn up. In the past there has been way too much
duplication of function on the gnome desktop - and for me the switch to
2.x has been great because it has had a bit of a "strongest will
survive" cleanup effect on the desktop.

I know most will agree with me when I say that we want a realllly clear
cut, well defined, strongly integrated media package for Gnome 2.x

So my suggestion is this: When the list of apps are being drawn up, dont
sort them by what we have - rather by what we need. The gnome multimedia
meta-project is very young and it is not to late to be drastic in
changes made for the greater good.

As such I would like to forget for a minute all the apps that have just
been discussed and ask the question: "What multimedia capabilities does
the gnome desktop need?" Do we need a sepporate app for playing cd's, a
sepporate app for videos? etc.... Once it is decide what the desktop
needs - then , IMHO, is the time to start fitting the apps we have into
catagories, and deciding which direction various projects need to take,
if some need to be dropped, and if some need to be merged.

I'm not going to give my answer to that question yet, i just wanna get
the ball rolling ;)

--

	 .--= [ MArk Finlay - finlaymATeircomDOTnet ] =--.

	  [ sisob: irc.gnome.org www.gnomedesktop.org ]
		[ MArk: www.gnomesupport.org ]