Re: Cd Burning (XML File format)

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:07:34PM +0200, Manuel Clos wrote:
> John McCutchan wrote:
> >For gnome2 to have a good CD burning infrastructure we need to create
> >a standard file format to represent CD Compilations so that all the gnome
> >cd burning applications can use the same compilation files.
>
> I would use one of the existant file formats rather than creating a new one.
>
> >This file format should support audio cd's, vcd's, plain data cd's
> >hybrid cd's, etc. For a very rough example I propose something like this:
> >
> ><compilation type="vcd | svcd | data | hybrid | audio">
> >    <track type="audio | data">
> >        <file uri="path/to/file.ext" />
> >    </track>
> ></compilation>
> >
> >I think that from these simple options we can build up as complex
> >of a cd project as we want. If the dicided interface (bonobo/lib) could
> >interpret this xml tree, then all the applications have to do is create
> >this tree and pass it off the the cd burning slave.
>
> Then you need the gnome apps to burn the CDs. I don't think cdrecord and
> cdrdao will support reading xml (that would be cool thougth).
>
> The .toc file format used by cdrdao is very similar to the .cue file
> format. And it can be expanded to support Data compilations and not just
> audio. Anyway, you can't use this file directly with cdrecord.
>
> I think we should ask the cdrdao maintainer about this.

My thoughts were that the bonobo interface would translate the xml
into whatever format the backend is using. We shouldn't model our
data structure around a specific backend.

Just to add to the file format, we should add a type of iso to
the track type, so that we can support just burning an iso as one of
the tracks on the cd. Also it might be usefull to keep some options
of the cd compilations like dao/tao, etc.. in the file, so that
it is a more self contained, for example you could setup a complicated
compilation and then send it to your friend where all they would have
to do is right click on it in nautilus and select burn.

John