Re: [gnome-mud] Critical errors on startup, Seg Fault during key depression

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 11:38, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 08:58:02AM +0100, Robin Ericsson wrote:
> > > With the aliases that the user had created in the original report, gnome
> > > mud will treat as alias anything that contains "mm" in it:
> > >
> > > "cre eres un mmortal" will output
> > > [cre] eres un form 'magic missile'
> > > instead of
> > > [cre] eres un mmortal
> > Wasn't this a problem even before the patch?
>
> Hmm, I guess. It's broken still, I think. I have never used gm aliases,
> because all the muds I used to play had internal alias systems.
>
> In the LP muds I played, the aliases only worked if it was the first
> chunk of the input:
>
> > mm dog    ----> works
> > say "I typed mm dog" ----> would not expand it.
>
> Is this what users expect?

Definitely. I use lots of single character aliases. If those are
expanded everywhere they appear in input strings, I will have a very
hard time.

I think just expanding the first word makes sense. This is basically
what all other clients I have tried do.

Comparing with tintin++, aliases are first word only, if you want
expansion of a string everywhere, you use a substitution.

Cheers,
Jens