[gnome-love] where do I start asking for help?

Hi there,

I guess gnome-love is probably the wrong place to ask, but it looked like a friendly place so perhaps you could point me to the correct list/website for help?

I've just installed (with a bit of pain!) gnome 2.6 on by debian sarge box, using jhbuild and patience (PII )-: ), and it works, apart from I have various .desktop files (starthere.desktop, dragging epiphany to the desktop creates epiphany.desktop etc) which have a mime-type of text/plain. Also, help opens up as xml in a browser.

Any ideas of where to start looking for help? I'm a gnome-newbie, and I'm a bit all-at-sea.

Thanks

James.