Re: [gnome-love] Revitalising gnome-love ... some history

Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 21:46, chris wrote:
[...]
Also, in response to Luis' response, I can't seem to find any team for American english or simply english. Should I get in touch with the german team? I dare not translate into German, though.

Hmm .. maybe there are some crossed wires here. Luis was referring to
the fact that Mathias Wirkus' book has already been translated into
English. It is currently being proofread and will then be published.

You're right about the crossed wires there.

I gather you are asking about doing regular translations from German to
English. As GNOME stands at the moment, there is not a lot of call for
that, since the vast majority of our documentation and program messages
are written originally in English and then translated into other
languages. This is mostly for pragmatic purposes: for language XX, we
only need to have a team translating from English->XX, we don't need to
also have teams doing XX->English or XX->YY. Consequently there is no
"English" team.

That's what I was thinking, hence the remark in my first posting.

There may be isolated cases when such translating talents are useful,
but I cannot think of any of the top of my head. You may wish to drop
into the gnome-i18n mailing list, though and at least introduce
yourself. Alternatively, if you are comfortable using IRC, join the
#i18n channel from time to time. The internationalisation guys are much
more likely to know of such opportunities on the rare occasion that they
arise.

Cheers,
Malcolm