Re: [gnome-love] yelp [was: is this list active?]

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 09:21, Allin Cottrell wrote:
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Shaun McCance wrote:

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 08:50, Allin Cottrell wrote:
OK, now that we've established that the list is active, I have a
question.  I'm wondering, what are the plans for yelp? ...

If you subscribed to gnome-love@ because you're looking for something in
GNOME to work on, then you've just asked exactly the right question.

I took over Yelp maintainership a couple of months ago, and I've been
very busy reworking the entire transformation system...

http://www.gnome.org/~shaunm/yelp/

Ah, that looks very promising.  I'm afraid I'm too busy with my own
app to work on yelp, but from a position of complete ignorance I
wonder: Is it worth thinking about some sort of mechanism for caching
"compiled" helpfiles?  (M$ .chtml files do come up nice and quickly.)

Caching is easy to do poorly, and impossible to do well.  If I thought
it was worth doing poorly, I'd do it.  But I don't.  I can't give you
any hard numbers right now on how fast the new transformation stuff is,
but the word "instantaneous" is a pretty good description.

--
Shaun