[gnome-love] Re: [ANNOUNCE] gtk+widgexts-0.0.3 beta released

On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 02:32, Santiago Capel wrote:
***
*** gtkwidgexts::GtkxEntryMask

GtkxEntryMask is a widget based upon the GtkEntry widget, which extends
adding a type to the text.
Once the type is set, the widget only allows valid characters to be
typed.
These are the main features:

- The supported types are:
 - STRING
 - NUMBER
 - CURRENCY
 - DATE
 - TIME
 - DATETIME

- The mask property states which characters are valid. For example:

type=STRING, mask="AA-99"

Your mask seems to be quite limited, I'd suggest to use regular
expressions here. You never know what restrictions we in our sheer
madness^W^Winfinite wisdom want to impose on our users.

The first two characters MUST be alphanumeric, the third character MUST
be a hyphen and the last two charactres MUST be numbers. The maximun
length of the string is 5.

Hmm, what if the string needs to be exactly 5 characters long? My best
idea is to have a set of allowed characters which can be typed in
('[A-Za-z0-9]' or somesuch) and a regular expression on which the string
will be tested afterwards ('^[A-Za-z0-9]{2}-[A-Za-z0-9]{2}$'). Yes,
regular expressions are hard to write and even harder to read, but they
are most flexible, which is a big bonus in my eyes.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / nils fht-esslingen de / nils redhat de
Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?