Re: [gnome-love] Glade+Python tut

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 06:42:32PM +0200, Robert Laing wrote:
Hi

I've written a beginners' guide that goes through the steps of writing a
simple "gless" style app using Glade and Python on the web at
http://www.icon.co.za/~zapr/Project1.html
I wrote it because I couldn't find anything similar already available.
I'm hoping to expand it over time to cover a wide selection of "recipes"
of how to use widgets without having to delve into high level
programming.
Comments, suggestion etc would be welcome.

  Excellent. I have gone through most of those steps myself in the
last month and while it's clear that Glade + Python + Gtk/Gnome is a
fantastic tool to build applications the steps to make progresses are
not trivial mostly by lack of such a high level documentation.

  On the suggestion part:
    - galeon could not load the images referenced from
      http://www.icon.co.za/~zapr/Ch02.html
    - could be nice to detail a bit more how to use Glade (or point
      to a specific Glade tutorial) like for example how to actually
      attach callbacks to widget actions
    - it's not always trivial to learn what's the set of Python Widget
      names and APIs are available. In practice browsing through
      /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gtk.py
      /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/GTK.py
      /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/GDK.py
      helped to find the names for the widgets and interfaces available
      (BTW I still didn't found how to connect a callback to a mouse event
       on the labels of a GtkCList)
    - Since learning by example is often one of the quickest way, it's
      a good idea to look in the set of documentation examples of the
      pygtk binding under
      /usr/share/doc/pygtk-0.6.8/examples/
      on my system, it's also a good idea to read the informations provided
      by James in the doc directory.

  As you pointed out, a lot of the Python binding API can be deduced/guessed
from the C modules documentation. I assume this is the same for the Java,
Perl or other bindings. There will always be a certain level of redundancy
but on the other hand it is important to see the limits of the available
bindings a a solid set of example to help beginners.

  thanks a lot, it's very useful !

Daniel