Re: The Apology of GNOME 3 (an analogy to the Apology of Socrates by Plato)

GNOME 2 experience can be achieved with GNOME 3 fallback mode.

One feature of GNOME 2 which a number of existing users took advantage of was "configurability". GNOME3 is less configurable, __including__ that GNOME 3 'fallback mode'.

In GNOME2 I could use the Right-Mouse-Button within the panels to move icons around (or delete them); I could also add panels, or change a panel's thickness.

Some developers might not be considering such features to be part of 'the GNOME 2 experience' -- but in my opinion they were for some users an important part of "arranging what I look at to be the way I like it" -- resulting in a pleasurable sense of "GNOME 2 gives me the facilities that fit into the way I do things". The absence of such customizable details is what leaves me with less pleasure when working with GNOME 3.

mikus